Tis the season! As the baking, decorating, shopping and making merry comes full swing, be mindful of potentially unsafe escapades your furry friends can get into during the hustle and bustle of the holidays.
Be careful that your "people" treats such as chocolate, candy, nuts, raisins, cranberries and grapes (to name just a few) don't become "pet" treats. Whether something is dropped on the floor or that family friend just can't help "sharing" her plate of holiday goodies with your pet, watch what your pet ingests.
Decorating with fresh greens? Be aware of holiday plants and trees that are toxic to both dogs and cats including: Holly, Mistletoe (and the berries), Amaryllis, Christmas Rose and Norfolk Island Pine.
Mind those tree ornaments! Pets don't understand that the ball hanging from the tree is glass and not rubber and s/he may bat it down or try to fetch it. Either way, it could spell disaster and an emergency trip to the vet if s/he walks in broken glass or worse, ingests it. Even unbreakable or fabric tree decorations can tempt a pet who may view these items as food or nice bits of clothing to chew on. (Some dogs have a fascination with socks, others with crocheted snowflake ornaments...but that's a story for another day.)
If you believe your pet has ingested something dangerous/poisonous, contact your veterinarian immediately or Animal Poison Control Center http://www.aspca.org/Home/Pet-care/poison-control.aspx.
Happy Holidays to all of our furry friends and pet parents!
ZG pro team
Corporate headquarters located at: