With Easter around the corner, it's important to note that Lilies are highly toxic to cats. The leaves, pollen and flower of lily plants can make your cat extremely sick and can even be fatal. Some signs of lily toxicity are loss of appetite, vomiting, lethargy and liver failure.
According to the ASPCA, some varieties of lilies are also toxic to dogs and include lily of the valley, calla lily, peace lily or palm lily (which is the houseplant Dracaena). Dogs who have ingested these lilies may experience stomach upset, tremors and depression.
A few other popular Spring blooms are also dangerous. These include Daffodils (otherwise known as paper whites, narcissus or jonquils), Tulips and Azaleas. Daffodils and Tulips contain poisonous alkaloids that can cause drooling, intense vomiting, convulsions, diarrhea and heart problems. If the leaves of the Azaleas are ingested, they can cause loss of appetite, stomach upset, weakness, leg paralysis, central nervous system depression, cardiovascular collapse and death.
If you suspect your pet has plant/flower toxicity, seek immediate veterinary attention.
Pay careful attention to the type of plants/flowers you bring indoors or plant outside. There are a number of attractive plants that are non-toxic to pets. Consider African Violet, Rose, Begonia or Easter Daisy, to name just a few.